Friday, July 13, 2012

Nursery curtains

I've been pretty busy this summer working on a few things for the baby's nursery before school starts again. I am pretty excited with how things are working out so far. We have chosen to decorate using sports as a theme. Originally, I wanted a Colts nursery, but I didn't think that was fair for hubby:) So, sports it is.

I'm sure I will share some more of my projects as I either finish them or get them hung up, but this first one was really fun and easy to do. I wanted to find curtains for the room that were dark blue, covered the window (not just a valance), and I wanted them to be cost effective. (That's code for cheap.) I started by looking in all of the usual places, Wal-mart, Target, Amazon, Big Lots, and finally ended up at Bed Bath and Beyond. I wish I would have gone there first! They have such a huge selection!

Curtains are super expensive. I decided to go with a less expensive (also code for cheaper) alternative. I really liked many of the curtains at BB&B, but they were about $20 per panel. I was going to need 4 panels. Crazy, right? Plus, I wanted cute curtain rods to go with the sports theme. Well, I found the curtain rods and they had the perfect ones!! Wait till you see them. SO PERFECT! If I wanted the cute curtain rods, I was going to have to cut costs to get them. I thought about getting some material and making my own. (Using stitch witchery or ultrabond, cause I don't sew.) But then, I remembered seeing something on Pinterest that I could use! Tablecloths! They are thick, durable, and made to be washed often. So, off to that section. I grabbed 2 tablecloths and checked the dimensions. After finding the perfect ones, I decided to get them, cut them in half and use them as my curtains. They were only $15 each, and since I was cutting them, I only needed 2. That alone saved me $50! Gotta love that.

Well, thankfully, my friend K was in town and she brought her sewing machine with her just in case of a sewing emergency. I cut the curtains the moment we got home and she sewed up the ragged edge and then folded and sewed the top down to make a place for the rod to slide through. Then when hubby came home, he hung them up.

This is what it looked like when we were finished. Very boyish! I liked them, but I thought they were missing something.

Here's a close up of the curtain rod ends. I LOVE THEM! 
So, I decided the curtains needed some red on them to jazz them up a bit. Too bad K and her sewing machine were gone. So Ultrabond to the rescue! I got some basic red ribbon and decided 2 stripes would be perfect across the top. 

Stripe one and a stripe of Ultrabond waiting for the second ribbon. 
Second stripe! It looks orange here, but it's red.
Well, I just finished them and I LOVE them even more now. The red is just what they needed. 

TA DA!! 
Project one: Completed. Only a hundred more to go! 

1 comment: