Thursday, May 26, 2011

Peach Cobbler...Fingers Crossed




I am normally a decent cook. I don't usually have a hard time with recipes and following directions. Until today. I found some gorgeous peaches at the local produce stand and when I remembered that I had some blueberries at home that I needed to use, I decided to make a cobbler. Too bad I've never made a cobbler before. I looked up several recipes. The first one I found while on the phone with my mom. By the time I got home, I couldn't remember what it said. Next stop, Google. I found a great recipe, modified the serving sizes and started to copy the recipe. Yes, copy, cause the printer refuses to obey me. While I was writing the recipe, my brother called. Between our conversation and my trying to write the ingredients, I made a slight error.

The recipe calls for 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of milk and 1/4 cup butter. I wrote down the ingredients correctly, but switched the measurements. You see where this is going. I didn't even second guess myself when I melted a whole cup of butter, plus 2 tablespoons and put it in the pan.

Then the recipe said to put the batter in first and then the fruit on top and not to stir it. I mixed that up as well and put my fruit in first. They were swimming in butter and my "batter" was more like dough. I decided to double check the recipe. Seeing my error, I did the second thing that came to mind. I drained off as much butter as I could and added extra milk to the now very lumpy batter. (My first thought was to throw it into the trash, pan and all.)

I could not do anything about putting the fruit in first instead of the batter, so now I wait, hoping for the best. I am hoping it becomes one of those accidental masterpieces. Something that wows me and the husband. A girl can hope, right?

My fingers are crossed. There is about 45 minutes left until it is done. I will be sure to update if it is awesome...and never admit if it is awful :)

What recipe blunders have you made? Dish! I need to know I am not the only one!

2 comments:

  1. It was really good! I love buttery treats! I need more exclamation marks!

    ReplyDelete