Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I am a bag lady

I am a teacher. I have a lot of bags. This sounds fairly normal. However, some days I look a lot sillier than others and today is no exception. On a typical day of school, I leave the house with my purse, my school bag, my lunch box, and a cup of coffee. Normally I can balance all of these things with no problem. Today, well not so much.

I was on my way home from school and I only had my purse, lunchbox and coffee cup. I had a couple of errands to run. At the first shop, I picked up a gift that was in a bag. The bag was about the size of a Wal-mart sack. Nothing too tricky. Then it was off to CVS to get some gift boxes...you know the ones that you can wrap clothes in. Well, the man at the cash register said they were out of large bags, so I decided I could just carry these out under my arm. (I also had photos to pick up...he said, "Your purse is plenty big enough for these")

So, now I have photos in my purse, gift boxes, the gift I picked up at the 1st shop, and my purse, my lunchbox and coffee cup. Well, it is Wednesday, and so with church and Master's Clubs, my husband and I don't see each other until after service. Usually we just pick up some fast food and eat when it is convenient. I was craving some tots from Sonic, so I drove thru, got my burger, tots, drink and then headed home.

After checking the mail, which had a letter, a box, and a newspaper, I put my car in park, looked across the seat and began to determine the best way to get all my stuff in the house. By the way, it is COLD right now!! So, I decide that I will make it inside in just one trip. This is always my goal, but today it seemed like my only option. It was just too cold to come back out. And I didn't want to walk up those steps twice.

I begin this little journey by shoving as many things in my purse as will fit, so in go the newspaper, the small box from the mailbox and the letter. Then I start grabbing as many things as I can to get out of the car. (Maybe this is a good time to mention that I am wearing a skirt and heels) I hook my purse and lunchbox onto my left arm, tuck the gift boxes and coffee cup under my arm, grab everything else with my right hand, and begin to ever so gracefully exit my car. Immediately I can see that this is not going to be a success, but before I can do anything about it, I dropped my food on the ground and my tater tots went EVERYWHERE!! I contemplated picking them up, but I decided it was not meant to be.

So, for my second attempt, I try to use speed. If I hurry, I will make it! This starts out pretty well, I make it up the steps, but now to get into the house. My keys were in my pocket. I adjusted my stuff, and got the keys, all the while doing the potty dance, cause the cold makes me have to go, and opened the door. I nearly tripped over another box that was at the door step, but I made it!! SUCCESS!!!!!! I was in the house! And now to set my stuff down. I opted for the loveseat, because it is a good landing spot for stuff. I dropped everything there just as my drink slipped out of my hand and spilled all over the coffee table.

What an evening. Have I learned anything from this? No! I will try this again. Daily. Because 2 trips is uncalled for. And I will fail miserably.

1 comment: