Friday, December 10, 2010

What a week!

So over the past week, my husband and I have encountered a few unpleasant circumstances. Last Thursday, he went to the dr. to have a pain in his ribs checked. The dr was concerned about the pain and some abnormal test results, so he sent my husband to a cardiologist. This terrified me! My husband came to my classroom to tell me the news and I immediately called for a sub, and we left for the appointment.

While at the cardiologist's office, the dr completed a few more tests, and finding them to be normal, he then proceeded to tell us that he wanted more tests run at the hospital. Now I was in a state of panic! I am a worrier and this worried me tremendously. They completed the tests at the hospital and sent us home.

Now, my husband is the voice of calm and reason...this is a really good thing, because I am a SPAZ!!!! The thought that there could be something wrong with my husband's heart or lungs sent me to the crazy place. I cried, I whined, I worried, and of course picked a fight or two because I was so nervous. And we had to wait an entire week before we would know anything.

Then, yesterday, we visited the cardiologist again. We were there for 6 hours. SIX HOURS!! This was torture for me. Anyone who knows me, knows what an impatient person I am. I hate to wait. I HATE to wait. But, I impatiently waited anyway. For six hours. Most of this time I had to sit alone in the waiting room. This proved to be somewhat entertaining though! I always see the funniest things.

I am by nature a people watcher, and boy there were some people to watch in this waiting room. The first thing I saw, or rather, heard was a woman sitting 3 seats down from me. She obviously had been waiting a while and she was a little tired...maybe a lot tired! This woman was passed out and snoring loudly. Of course everyone is noticing this, but apparently I was the only one in the waiting room who found this to be HILARIOUS! Naturally, I took out my phone, pretended to be talking on it, and took the following:


 
Someone is tired!

Then, just when I have recovered from this sight, in walks three men in shackles, handcuffs and white uniforms. They were accompanied by 2 armed guards. This of course is unusual, so this time, I decided to pretend to be texting when I captured this image:




Men from the Pen  

This was too much for me! I was almost out of control by this point. Everyone else in the waiting room managed to keep their composure, but I was not able to do so.

As I looked around to see who else was looking at these people in the waiting area, I noticed that everyone there was at least 50, if not older. And here I was with my 33 year old husband. This was enough to help me regain my focus and I began to forget about the people who were distracting me. I began to worry about my husband again.

Finally, after waiting for what seemed like forever, my husband returned and we went to get lunch. The dr. told him to eat something fatty and drink some caffeine, because it would help flush his body of the things that had been injected. We went to 5 Guys and had just what the doctor ordered.

When we got back to the dr, we waited some more, then Juan went back for a while, and then the head nurse came and called me back. I got to go back into the back and...you guessed it....wait some more! Juan and I watched the weather channel for what seemed like an eternity and then they eventually led us to where his final test would be.

He was having an echo-cardiogram. This was fascinating. I got to watch as they looked at his heart on an ultrasound monitor. The technician turned on the speakers and we listened to his heart beat very loudly. Then we waited again for a nurse to come in and inject something into his arm that would put bubbles in his blood, which when they traveled to the heart, would indicate if there was a hole in his heart. When this test was over, we were led to the waiting room again to wait for our turn to see the doctor.

In case you were wondering, the sleeping woman had left but the inmates were still there.

When we were called to see the doctor we went to the patient room and waited for about 45 minutes to see the doctor. He peeked his head in once to tell us that he had not received all of the results of the tests yet, and so we continued waiting. Eventually, the doctor came back with the best news I have received all week. There was nothing that he could find. He looked at everything. There were no holes in the heart, no blood clots in the lung, everything was normal.

What a blessing. It reminded me of a song that our ladies trio used to sing at Cornerstone. It was called "A Storm Now and Then". The words speak of how God puts His children through tough times so that He can make us strong. I was so relieved and so anxious to leave that I didn't immediately recognize that God had something to teach me through all of this. This has been an incredibly tough week, but God had a goal and a purpose. He never left my side; He never stopped caring. He simply wanted to make me strong.

1 comment:

  1. It was certainly an eventfull day. I'm so glad that not only was nothing bad found, but I got to spend the day with the most beautiful woman in the world...even if she was a little over-stressed most of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete