Thursday, September 29, 2011

Weird week!

This week has been incredibly busy, incredibly stressful, and full of unexpected surprises...not all good surprises. I feel like I have had a mountain of work all week. I get to school early, stay late, and still bring things home to work on in the evening. Thankfully, tonight, I left school with no work! What a huge blessing after the week I have had.

To begin, my Monday started off as any other stressful Monday. Busy, busy, busy...not much of which I can even remember.

However, Tuesday is when the excitement began! I was teaching my students to divide with fractions, when suddenly there was a fire drill. I have come a long way since my first year of teaching in regards to my reaction to a fire drill. The first fire drill I ever experienced, I ran out of the school, leaving my students to fend for themselves. This week's fire drill seemed pretty normal until I noticed that the students toward the back of my line were moving around and jumping out of line. I went back there to see what was wrong, and there were fire ants everywhere! This is one of those things that I never experienced back home in Indiana. So, I was trying to get my class under control and brushing ants off of some of them, when suddenly I was viciously attacked by the same ants! They were up my legs almost to my knees before I felt them. By the time we got back to the room, my legs and especially my feet were freckled with bites. That was enough excitement for one day!

Jerks of the insect world! 
Wednesday was full of surprises too! It was picture day, so after getting my hair under control, or as under control as I could, I headed to school in the rain. The rain stopped just in time for us to have prayer at the flag pole. The humidity was incredible though. I could feel my hair growing bigger and bigger. Just in time for us to have our school pictures. I can just imagine how that one is gonna turn out.

Mrs. P-sixth grade teacher


Wednesday afternoon, some of my students were heading to cross country at the other campus, and through a series of circumstances, I got to drive them over in the school's van. On my way back, I nearly hit a squirrel and was a nervous wreck. Little did I know that was the least of my concerns. As I turned to head up the drive toward the school, I saw a stick in the road. A stick that moved. It was a snake! A SNAKE! I still can't think about it without shuddering! It raised its head when it saw me coming toward it. And I drove right over it! Hopefully I killed it, but I didn't see it there when I left that day. I was so afraid to get out of the van. I just knew it was hanging on to the wheel to jump on me when I got out. So, I got all my stuff together and jumped out of the van, as far as I could away from it! I am so thankful no one was there to watch me look so crazy!

I almost can't look at this picture! I still have the heebie-jeebies!  I also don't know if this is the type of snake it was, but it looked kind of like it. 

This has been my first encounter with a snake in my life. I have never seen one outside of the zoo. This is also my first experience with the fire ants. I hope I am done for the week with my random encounters with nature. So help me, if I get attacked by a rabid raccoon this week, I am going to be furious!

No comments:

Post a Comment