Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Coffee shop crazies

Currently I am sitting in a coffee shop enjoying a delicious cup of coffee and people watching. And let me tell you, there are some crazies up in here! Now the coffee is nothing special but the environment is nice enough to get some papers graded.

However I have experienced enough people watching to make myself feel a lot more normal. Allow me to illustrate. The man in the chair next to me sounds like the kid in a wheelchair from Malcolm in the Middle. And he's not shy about joining your conversation. Or about watching videos with the sound on and laughing. Hysterically. Loud hysterical giggles.

Then there's a lady who has a bad back. You might wonder how I know that. That's because she told me. She told the barista. She told Giggles. She even took Giggles's seat because it was softer. But don't worry, he's used to sitting in hard chairs. After all, he has been sitting in one for 12 years. Must be rough.

Then there's recently divorced guy. Again I know this because he told me. I know his kids aren't too happy and that he is trying to begin dating. Between you and me though, I know why he's divorced. After I got settled and started grading he came over and started talking about an article in the New York Times. The article is about a how our bodies are keeping us fat. Apparently if our bodies get used to a certain weight, then if we lose weight our bodies will fight us to get back to that weight. Who says that to a stranger?

Then there's motorcycle man. His helmet is on my table and when he sat down RIGHT NEXT TO ME, he opened with the very cool opening line of,"I'm nosy...what are you reading?" Now he and divorced guy are talking about knives. Perhaps they are southern mobsters.

Then there have been 2 police officers. One of them shook my hand and the other one talked with motorcycle man about knives.

Now this might be a normal day at any given coffee shop but what I am finding it hard to believe that these are the ONLY people who have come in here this afternoon. I am tempted to come back every day to see if this trend continues.

I guess the one thing that I have learned is that I am not the weirdest person in my little town. That's something, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding me? So weird.

    I've never experienced anything like this in a coffee shop. I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete