Wednesday, December 5, 2012

So...I had a baby

I know, I know, I have been procrastinating, but I have the best possible reason ever.

Introducing the newest love of my life, Zander Michael Silas
This last month has been a blur! I can't believe that this little man is here. He is healthy and perfect and growing and keeping us up at night. Here is a bit of why I have been absent from my blog :)

Monday, October 29, 3 pm--Dr. appointment. At this appointment, my doctor sent me straight to the hospital to begin an induction. I was almost a week past my due date and he was sure that I had a really big baby, so we trusted his advice, headed to the hospital, and got started that evening. 

Tuesday, October 30--Contractions, contractions, contractions. LONG DAY! At 12:30pm, my water was  broken and my contractions were 2 minutes apart. At 4:30 p.m. my doctor came in and checked on the progress. There was still no progress. I was only dilated to 3 cm. The baby wasn't moving down. The baby was not handling labor well. His heart rate had dropped several times. My doctor gave us several options. I could keep trying to go naturally, I could have a c-section then, or I could keep trying and maybe end up in an emergency c-section later that evening. As soon as I realized that the baby's heart rate was dropping, my mind was almost made up. My husband asked the doctor what he would do if I were his wife. He said without a doubt to do the c-section now. We went into this birth experience trusting my doctor completely and we trusted his judgement. When we had talked before about my birth options, he expressed that he would only suggest a c-section if he felt it was totally necessary. It was not at all what I wanted, but I trusted him. At 4:50p.m. the decision was made to have a c-section, and at 5:46 p.m. Zander was here!

Operating room--After getting all prepped, kissing my husband, and being wheeled into the operating room, I really began to panic. I was terrified. Thankfully, there were wonderful staff members and nurses there to calm me down. When my husband came in a few minutes later, it was go time. Before I knew it, I felt tremendous pressure and my husband stood just in time to see Zander's entrance into this world. Hearing that first cry changed my life. Not gonna lie, I was incredibly tearful. They brought him around to get a glimpse of him and then took him to the corner of the room to be cleaned up. When my husband brought him back around all wrapped in a blanket and hat, I was in love. We had a tiny little hairy miracle. Yes, tiny. The doctors thought he was going to be huge, but he was only 6 pounds 15 ounces. It turned out that I had so much trouble in labor because of the way Zander was positioned in my belly.

After a short stay in the recovery room, which included some more time with our sweet baby, I was moved to a postpartum room and our family and friends were allowed in to see us and the baby. It was a sweet, sweet time. A short time though, because I was exhausted. 

I have so much more to share about this experience, but duty calls. For now, here are some more pictures of our sweet miracle.

This is my favorite picture of the world's greatest dad!

And one my BFF took while she was visiting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment