Thursday, June 13, 2013

Dining room art re-do


In keeping with my current trend of replacing all of the things in our place that I don't love anymore, I updated some of the things in our dining room. The first thing I did was spray paint a gold mirror. Now it's a gorgeous red! Super simple to do too. I simply taped some plastic bags over the glass and sprayed 2 coats. 
Before! 
During. 
During. 
After! 

So easy and by using materials I already had, this one didn't cost anything! 

Next I was inspired to repaint some art that was hanging on an adjacent wall. I really wanted to put some more red on the walls, so thankfully I had more leftover red spray paint. I had 2 coordinating pieces that were painted on wood. Each piece was one foot by 2 feet. The original art was black and white and floral. 

The first thing I did was use this amazing product again to cover the old art. 

I love this stuff! 2 coats and I was ready to go! 

Once the primer dried, I sprayed them with 2 coats of my favorite red spray paint. Now for the unbelievably tedious part. I had a pack of leftover scrapbook paper from a project I had done in our living room. 

I made a couple stencils to trace and started to trace and cut and trace and cut and trace and cut. 

These were the stencils. 


I traced 2 of the big ones and 2 of the little ones on the back sides of the scrapbook paper. Then I made 2 circles by tracing the inside of my roll of masking tape. 
These would be the center of 2 flowers. Once I had all my pieces cut out, I started laying them out in a pattern I liked. 
Next step, mod podge! I glued them all down, trimmed the edges, and put a layer of mod podge over the whole thing. After it dried, this is the final project! 


Ta da! I love this one! Super easy, and again, it didn't cost anything since I already had all the materials on hand. 

Probably my favorite part of this project was that I didn't have to put any new holes in the wall. Since I hung the artwork where it was originally hung I simply had to put it right back on the wall where it was before! 









1 comment: