Sunday, June 9, 2013

Orange artwork to orange you going to love this new artwork!


I have been wanting to replace a few things in our place that I just don't love any more. The first one was a project in our bedroom. I found these paintings a couple years ago and I really liked them in the store. I loved the price too. I got both of them for about $15. However, when I brought them home I didn't love them anymore. They were too orange for our bedroom. So they hung on our wall mocking me for the past 2 years. 

One night I asked my husband if I could change them into something else. I told him my ideas and he let me run with it. I really didn't want to spend much money on them so I decided to paint over them. Plus, I used many materials I had leftover from baby room projects. All in all, I spent about $10 on this project. 

The first thing I had to do was paint over the orange flowers. I used this amazing product to cover it up. 

This stuff is amazing. I had used it for the baby's toy box. 2 coats of it and I was ready to roll. 

After this stuff dried, I painted them gray. The gray paint is one of the only things I didn't already have on hand. 

After 2 coats of gray paint, it was time for the most time consuming part. I am loving the chevron right now. I originally wanted to get a stencil or draw it on first. Finally I decided just to tape it off and paint over. This was an easy thing to do, but it took a long time and a lot of tape. I made sure all of my pieces of tape were 3 inches long and cut them as straight as possible. I started in the top left corner and taped and taped and taped. 

This was so tedious, especially since I was doing this on 2 canvases. It took about an hour just to apply the tape. Then I painted 2 coats of black paint. 

I have learned the hard way to not pull the tape off too soon, so I waited as long as I could to yank it off. I loved the way it turned out! 

To finish it, I took some letters from the Hob Lob, painted them red with some leftover paint, and glued them down. Here it is hanging in our bedroom. 

Now, if you noticed, only one of them is completed. I still need to finish the second one, but I need another "x". I am making our wedding date in Roman numerals. It's going to hang right under this one. I can't wait to have that one finished, but I ran into a snafu with the letters. I bought most of them one day and had to go back another day to pick up the rest because they didn't have them all. Well, when I went back I discovered that they had discontinued the letter x! Not the whole set, just x. Poor x. It must feel like Pluto did when it was downgraded from being a planet. Hopefully it won't get kicked out of the alphabet altogether. 

No comments:

Post a Comment