Sunday, May 20, 2012

Birthday surprise

No, not for my birthday, but for my best friend. This weekend hubby and I sneaked to Indianapolis to surprise my best friend and also attend the graduation of the first students I ever taught.

Friday night I met my husband at his work and we left from there. Our plan was to drive the 8 hours straight through and arrive at around 2 or 230 in the morning. Well, the highway in Tennessee had other plans for us. At about 8 in the evening, traffic suddenly stopped and the road became a parking lot. After looking online, we realized that there had been a semi in an accident and the road was going to be closed until 11. Well, 11 came and went, and we were still stuck. Finally, at a little after midnight we started moving. Hubby decided to drive for a while and then we decided to stop and find a place to sleep for the night. Apparently that was everyone else's plan as well. We went to 5 hotels before we got a room.

Our room was as lovely as any roach motel could be, but we were only going to be there for about 4 hours to sleep and shower and get on the road again. The next morning we went to get some breakfast and some gas and we set off again.

We arrived at 12 noon. My plan was just to show up at my best friend's house and surprise her, but she was out running errands so we had to track her down. When we realized she was at the church, we headed there and all the doors were locked. I tried calling her but she didn't answer. Then she happened to walk by the door we were at. It was an awesome moment! She was completely surprised!!! I gave her the present we had driven so far to give her and then we hung out until graduation started.

The graduation was perfect. The speaker was excellent. My best friend and another teacher sang one of my favorite songs from Wicked and I cried through the entire thing. I'm blaming it on the pregnancy hormones and my short night of sleep.

After graduation, we went to my best friend's house for a while and then had some sweet fellowship at one of the graduate's open house. Afterwards we sat around talking and catching up. Then after a late night dinner at Fazoli's, we went straight to sleep.

Then this morning was church at my home church. I LOVE getting to come back to my church. I love love love these people. It is always so refreshing to come back home and see these people who always welcome us back. AND another of my closest friends came to our church this morning to see us.

After church, we had a birthday lunch for my best friend. Delicious food and awesome company. It was just like old times.

Then sadly it was time to hit the road again. After a whopping 26 hours in my favorite city with so many of my favorite people. It did my soul good to be home even for just a short time.

Now just 2 and 1/2 days of school and we are out for the summer. Then the real relaxing can begin:)

No comments:

Post a Comment