Monday, May 28, 2012

Bruschetta

Today we are home together celebrating Memorial Day. I love a lazy day. We stayed in bed late, warmed some cinnamon rolls, and snoozed on the couch. I love days like this. Spending time with my husband is always one of my favorite things to do. Today we planned on making bruschetta for lunch. This is one of the only meatless meals my husband will let me fix. And we LOVE it.

What you need:

French bread--the skinny loaf, sliced about 3/4 of an inch thick
olive oil
salt
fresh basil (about 1 tablespoon, chopped)
tomatoes (I used some cluster tomatoes from the grocery store today, and they were delicious, but any kind you like will do. For the 2 of us, I chopped 3 tomatoes.)
fresh garlic, 1 clove, peeled and chopped in half

What you do:

Seed and dice the tomatoes. Chop the basil. Put them in a bowl, give them a sprinkle of salt and a splash of olive oil. Then put in the fridge until its time to eat.

Ready to refrigerate. 
While the tomato mix is in the fridge, slice the French bread.

Then put some olive oil in a little dish. I used a silicone brush to add it to the bread.


Heat up a skillet until it is hot. Then brush bread with the olive oil and add to the pan. Be sure to brush both sides. I like them pretty golden brown. Flip them often or they will burn.



Once the bread is toasted, rub the garlic across the top of the bread. It adds just a hint of garlic to this already delicious bread.

The bread was hot, so hubby used a fork to rub the garlic onto the bread. 
Finally, assemble the bruschetta and dig in! Have lots of napkins handy, because it is so messy. Worth it, but so messy!

YUM!


1 comment: