Monday, January 17, 2011

10 things I love about my guy

I was 29 when I got married. I remember thinking that I would NEVER get married. I remember being reminded that I would NEVER get married. When I was a teenager, I remember making a list of the things I wanted in a future mate. I wanted a Christian man, who could fix things, was handsome, a leader in our home, someone who would pray with me and for me, someone who would lead our family in devotions, and a hard-worker. As the years passed and I still remained unmarried, I thought that I would never get a husband like that.  I can remember crossing things off this list as I got older. Finally, all that remained was a Christian who could fix things (I break things A LOT). When God provided my husband, He gave me all that I wanted and so much more. Recently, through my Sunday school class and our devotions in the evening, I have been thinking about these little things that make me love this man so much. Here is a short list of some of the ways God blesses me through my husband

  • He takes out the trash. HE TAKES OUT THE TRASH!! I hate trash. 
  • He leaves a light on for me. At night when we are ready to go to bed, he goes ahead of me and turns on a small light in the bedroom so I don't have to go into the dark room. Then he goes back out and turns off the other lights. 
  • He has weapons. I hated that my husband had random weapons when we first got married. But, when things go bump in the night, I am thankful for my ax-wielding-crazy-man husband. 
  • He makes my lunch. During the week, I get up and take a shower and he makes our lunches for work. Sometimes he even slips in a sweet note:-)
  • He gets me emergency chocolate. Every girl has a moment when talking can't solve a problem like chocolate can. About 2 weeks after I moved here, I had a MELTDOWN. I missed my friends, my dog, my family, my freedom, EVERYTHING. I was in bed crying and whining. He wanted to talk and comfort me. I told him, "I think we are gonna need some chocolate." He left and returned a few minutes later with all that he could find in the house, which wasn't much. Since that meltdown, I can always open my nightstand and find a stash of emergency chocolate that he has hidden there. 
  • He carries the heavy stuff. Groceries, luggage, furniture, you name it, he carries it. Not that I can't, but he chooses to do it for me. 
  • He takes care of our finances. I totally lucked out! He takes care of everything. He makes sure we have some money saved for emergencies and he is planning for our future. He even budgets for fun things. 
  • He fixes my stuff without complaining. As I mentioned before, I break things all too often. He does everything in his power to fix them and he doesn't make fun of me (usually) for breaking something. 
  • He takes care of the gross stuff. Goo in the sinks, stopped up toilet, clogged drains, he handles them. 
  • He carries my Bible to church. This is so small and seemingly insignificant, but Sunday mornings are CRAZY! Every Sunday, I wake up with the intent that I will make breakfast, take a shower, look my best, and not leave the house feeling frazzled. So far, that hasn't happened. It is so nice knowing that when I am rushing to make sure my shoes match and my afro is tamed that he has my Bible tucked safely with his.

This list could go on and on. God gave me what I wanted and then blessed me with so many extras that I never would have thought of. I am so thankful for the man that God has given me. I am so grateful for his love and all the little things that he does for me. 

1 comment: