Friday, January 14, 2011

An unfulfilled desire

Have you ever had a desire that hasn't been fulfilled? That is where I am right now in my life. I know that there is something I want, I have prayed for it, and God hasn't provided it yet. I know that He hears my prayers, I know He always answers them, I know that if it is His will, it will come to pass. 

I also know that I am impatient and emotional. This is where my flesh gets all worked up and I want to stomp my feet and cross my arms and poke out my lip and say, "I WANT IT NOW!" 

So, what happens now? Do I keep praying? Absolutely. Does my desire change simply because it hasn't come to pass yet? Definitely not. Is this difficult? More than difficult. Should I be bitter at God for Him not seeing it my way and giving me this desire? I want to be. I want to be mad and angry and frustrated. But, I know that God knows what is best for me. He sees my end from my beginning. He has a plan. His will is perfect. 

I am reminded of what Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego went through when they were being tossed into the fiery furnace. As they were about to be thrown into the furnace for not bowing to the image that Nebuchadnezzar had set up,  Nebuchadnezzar asked them, "and who is that God that shall deliver you out of my hands?"  Their answer was simple, yet so powerful. They said, "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. BUT IF NOT, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."  They were willing to go into the fire knowing that God could deliver them, but were still willing to serve Him even if God chose not to deliver them. 

Now, I am not being tossed into the fire, but my response to God must be the same as I am praying that God will give me the desire of my heart. If God provides, I am to praise Him...and if He doesn't I am to praise Him. This is not easy for me to do, but I feel that God is really dealing with my heart on this issue. I pray that my response to Him is the right response. 

1 comment:

  1. I know your response will be the right response. I am here to support you in whatever you do, and we will continue to pray every day for the strength and conviction that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had. You are a good person, faithful and loving and much nicer than you let on; and I know that His plan will be so much greater than our expectations.

    ReplyDelete