Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Burger Queen

My husband jokingly calls me the "Burger Queen". We both enjoy a good burger. I think I make pretty good burgers, and he wholeheartedly agrees. We love to try burger joints when we are out to find what we feel is the very best burger. When we were on our honeymoon, we tried a different local burger joint at lunch every day. We finally decided that the one we tried on the last day was the best. Too bad I don't remember the name of that place.

So here for your enjoyment are the few burgers we enjoy the most:)


  • Best fast-food burger-Hardee's wins this one. They have some great burgers! Unlike most fast food places, the burger is the main feature. Plus, where else can you get a $6 burger for like 4 bucks?
  • Best burger from a chain restaurant-Five Guys gets a standing ovation for this category!! My husband really liked Red Robin's burgers and we tried them a couple times. I felt that they were just the same frozen meat patty that I could get anywhere else. They just had fancy toppings to make you feel like you were experiencing something new each time. Five Guys is all about the burger. It is fresh...you can watch them make it in front of you. It is made on a griddle for those crispy edges...mmm. Plus it is served in a greasy paper bag filled with enough fresh-made fries to feed a family of 4. 
  • Best burger from a local burger joint-Joe Mama's in Millbrook is our go-to place for a big burger that never fails at being delicious. Their burgers are very reasonably priced and they are made fresh, again on a griddle, right when you order them. I have never experienced a bad burger from there. 
My Joe Mama's burger from our last visit...mmmmm
  • The best burger at my house-This is a top secret recipe...I can't believe that I am willing to share it, but here goes. First, I only make burgers on our George Foreman grill. They are just perfect. I have tried all of the fancy burger recipes, with mix-ins, and special ingredients, and they pale in comparison to the perfect burger that I will make for you if you ever stop by my house. First, start with really fresh ground beef. The fresher the better. If you have a meat counter at your local grocer, then ask for some fresh meat instead of the packaged ground meats in the refrigerated case. Also, choose a ground beef that still has some fat in it. The lean meats will make you feel better about yourself, but they don't make a great burger. Once you are ready to get started, divide your meat into1/4 lb. chunks. As you form each chunk, try not to handle it too much. The more you mess with it, the more tough your burgers will become. Make sure they are pretty big. I try to make mine bigger than my palm. Then set the burgers aside and get the grill nice and hot. While you wait for the grill to warm, get the buns ready. Butter the buns and lightly toast them in a skillet. Set those aside and then season your patties with the "holy trinity" (Lawry's seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder). Be sure to season both sides. place them on the grill and cook to desired temperature. If you are using ground meat, you want to cook it to well done (about 160 degrees); if you ground your own meat, then you can cook it to medium-well. Top with cheese and whatever toppings you like. I prefer lettuce, onion, and mayo. These have never let me down. My husband prefers them to anything we eat at restaurants...at least that is what he tells me.
I hope that this inspires you to give a burger a try! What is your favorite burger? Burger joint? Burger topping? 

4 comments:

  1. I <3 the holy trinity! haha You made me really hungry with this post. Mama Joe's needs to be the first place I go whenever I visit you next. Cute post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Eat at Joe's"

    "Joe who?"

    "Joe Mama!"

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All hail the burger queen! I love me a good burger and I have to agree with you on Five Guys! Now my mouth is watering for a juicy hamburger with all the fixins! Stupid ice storm...

    ReplyDelete