Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I need a vacation from vacation

One of the perks  The biggest perk of being a teacher is that I have some great time off! Having a full 2 weeks off at Christmas time is just what I needed to refresh myself. It is such a beautiful time...no students...no papers to grade...no getting up early...ok, maybe not all of that is true. I brought home some major grading and I still got up early in the mornings with my husband. However, it was so nice to not be tied to the same crazy schedule as usual.

My vacation started out pretty well. I cooked, shopped, wrapped gifts, procrastinated on the aforementioned grading, and enjoyed being lazy. We were having Christmas with my in-laws on the 23rd so we headed there in the evening for an amazing dinner followed by amazing presents! My in-laws are the best. I am so very spoiled. I have never ever been treated like this, so I am enjoying it while it lasts:) I got some great Colts things...a clock...a hat...a stocking...and some other great gifts.

Then the next morning we left for Orlando where my husband's aunt lives. We were on the road by 8 in the morning and there were 6 of us riding in the van together. Crazy!! Orlando is about 8 hours away, so by the time we arrived, we had 30 minutes to change clothes, gather our senses and head to their house. When we got there it was so chaotic. There were about a million people (ok, maybe only 15) there and there was a ton of food and it was loud and happy and overwhelming. (My husband and his family are from Peru. His family and my family could NOT be more different.)

I wish I could adequately put into words the way it looks and sounds as so many people are greeting and talking. Everyone of the people in the house hugged and kissed every one of us as we went in to the house. (This same event happened again at midnight that night and at 2 in the morning when we left for the hotel)

We munched on some goodies that seemed to be everywhere. Such good snack foods. Later we had an amazing dinner and at the stroke of midnight, we wished each other a merry Christmas and opened presents. This took a while because everyone pauses to look at you when you open yours.

The next morning, after a delicious breakfast at the hotel, we headed back to his aunt's house. We greeted everyone and then walked to the recreation center to play volleyball. It was the strangest Christmas ever. It was warm and windy and we were outside. Not a typical Indiana Christmas at all. The next morning we headed back to Alabama because many people (not me) had to work the next day.

I spent Monday recovering from this quick and busy trip. I unpacked, washed clothes and did a whole lot of nothing. Tuesday, I decided to take down the Christmas decorations and run errands, and Wednesday I bought a dress for New Year's and went to the grocery store. All the while, my stack of ungraded papers sat and mocked me while they gathered dust.

Then on Thursday, we packed up again, loaded up the van again, and headed off on another trip! This time we were headed to St. Louis, another 8 hour drive. This time there were 7 of us in the van and our luggage was strapped to a luggage rack. (in trashbags, of course, because that would stink if it rained!)

We arrived in St. Louis, ate dinner, and went to sleep. The next morning we went sight-seeing. We walked over to the arch, and just as we were about to go into it, the tornado sirens began to go off. SCARY!! Well, because of the weather, no one could go to the top of the arch, so we left. Yes, left. Went back out into the scary weather while the sirens were still going off and we walked to the old cathedral. I felt like we were in a movie seeking sanctuary in a real sanctuary. I thought this would be a good time to pray anyway:) (We heard later that there was a tornado that touched down about 10 miles from where we were.)

After the cathedral, we walked to the old courthouse. We spent some time there, looked at the museum, watched a movie about Dred Scott, and then left. We walked back to the arch. This time the top was open and the family went to the top. I didn't. Those who know me, know that I am not good with heights. (understatement of the century!) My husband and I stayed at the bottom and watched a video of the building of the arch while we waited.

That evening, we went to Mango. It is an amazing Peruvian restaurant in downtown St. Louis. I highly recommend it to anyone if you visit there! We were treated to some amazing food! Four courses later, we rang in the New Year! Then the dancing began. We dragged ourselves back to the hotel at 2am.

The next morning we met for breakfast and then went to see Tron: Legacy. Good movie. Good popcorn. Good company. Later, we were invited to go to the owner of the restaurant's home for a New Year's Day party. Again we indulged in some of the most amazing foods I have ever eaten. We went back to the hotel later that night. Everyone went to the pool. I went to bed. I am old!

We left for home again Sunday morning. I was so happy to sleep in my own bed! My husband and I both had to work on Monday morning, so when the alarm went off to wake us, we were not very happy campers. Today school started for me, so I am really ready to go to bed tonight!

This has been one of the best Christmases ever, but definitely the most exhausting! I will try to post some fun pictures of these trips later.

Oh yeah, and I finally graded my papers...yesterday morning :-)

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the best gift of all...our brand new Wii!!! Yay!!! Yeah, sleeping in our bed was the best. It was such a long and hectic two weeks. Let's take a bit of time to relax next year!

    Oh, and didn't you mean to include Good nap?

    ReplyDelete