Monday, July 25, 2011

Dipping Oil

If you have ever been to Carrabba's, then you have experienced that magical concoction of spice and oil that you dip bread into. My husband and I love that stuff so much. I honestly could make a meal out of it. I shouldn't, but I really could.  Because we liked it so much, I tried to come up with something that tasted just like it, but that we could enjoy at home. First, I went blindly to my spice cabinet and grabbed any spice that seemed Italian. I added oil and dipped the bread, and it was mediocre at best. Then, I scoured the internet. I found hundreds of recipes for this. One of them caught my eye so we tried it that night. It still wasn't perfect so the next time, I left out the rosemary and it was PeRfEcTiOn! It has become one of our favorite things. It is a good addition to anything Italian as well as other meals. I have served it with steak and grilled chicken.  

Here is my variation of the recipe. 

salt
pepper
red pepper (definitely adds some spice, so use a small amount if you are not feeling adventurous)
dried basil
dried parsley
dried oregano
garlic powder
fresh garlic (or jarlic, as I call it when I am too lazy to cut garlic and use the pre-minced garlic in a jar)

(I remember this recipe by saying salt, pepper, pepper, 3 green, 2 garlic)

Use equal parts of all these herbs and spices. For me and the husband, I usually do a 1/2 teaspoon of each. I double it if we have company. I also usually put a little extra of the fresh garlic in it. We love garlic in this house. Anyway, I mix the dry ingredients together with my measuring spoon, then add the fresh garlic and mix again. Then when it is time to eat, I will either divide it into small dipping bowls or leave it in the shallow bowl that I mixed it in and add the olive oil. I serve it with toasted french bread. Use any olive oil that you like, soon you will find a favorite. Our favorite is from World Market. It is fairly inexpensive, but has a rich taste. 

This is so yummy! Now I think I may want to have it for lunch:-)


1 comment: