Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Projects

I love having the entire summer off from work. It is a time for relaxation above all, but like any good woman, I have filled my summer with some small projects, and some not so small ones. I feel like I have accomplished so much this summer, but I still have a thing or two left on the ole to-do list. 

First I made this: 

It really is straight:) I just can't take a picture very well. 
This hangs above our TV. I found the idea online and then went to my local Hobby Lobby for the supplies. It was pretty simple and I finished it in one afternoon. Here is the quick version of how I did this. I purchased 3 pieces of Styrofoam. They were 12"x36" and my brother cut them into 12"x12" squares. Then I put some spray adhesive on each and then put a piece of scrapbook paper on them. Scrapbook paper is already 12"x12" so there was no trimming. Then I used tacky glue to glue a ribbon along the edges of the Styrofoam. It gives them the illusion of being framed. I used picture hangers to hang them, which are really easy to attach to the Styrofoam, no hammer needed. I did put a little tacky glue on the nails just for some peace of mind. After it was dry, I decided how I wanted them hung, and my husband hung them up. I like the mix of patterns and if I get tired of them in a few years I can change the scrapbook paper. Plus it is large and fills the space perfectly. 

My next project was something I also saw online. It was super easy as well. 
Dry erase board
This was the easiest ever and it looks lovely hanging on our fridge. I found a frame this week at Hobby Lobby for $5. It was 12"x12" (which is scrapbook paper size!) I took a piece of leftover scrapbook paper from the living room project and framed it, used a pretty ribbon to hang it from 2 picture hangers (also left over from the other project). I tied the ribbon and then hung it from a magnetic wreath hook that I found at Michaels. I just love this new board. It is so cute. Plus it is functional which is important for me as well. 

I also wanted to find some perfect things to go on top of our DVD shelves. I did have a grouping of pictures  hanging above them, and some things resting on top, but it was just too busy for me. So, again it was off to Hobby Lobby. They were having some great sales, so I got some of these items for 50% off, which makes me feel better since I hate to spend money. 
makes me happy:) 
From left to right, here is the rundown. The clock is something that I have had for years. I found it at World Market. Then the two little red candle holders are from Michaels. They were only a dollar! What a deal! The "Happy" sign was my splurge. It was $12 and it wasn't on sale, but I loved it and it came in the perfect shade of red. The framed "P" was from Hobby Lobby as well and it was 50% off. Hobby Lobby has a great selection of colored glass as well and I found the red vase there and it was the perfect height. And the "flowers" that are in the vase are so ridiculous, but I love them! They are black and white feathers glued to foam balls. Then the big black candle holder is also something I have had for years. It's from Pier 1. I love the way this looks now! 

This summer I have also finished 3 classes for my Master's degree.  That is way more than I thought I was capable of. I am so thankful to have them out of the way. I have one more that I would love to finish before school starts. If I can do that, then all I have left is my thesis! 

Hooray for projects completed! Hooray for saving money! Hooray for finding things I love! Hooray for a husband who lets me decorate! Hooray for summer! 

1 comment: