Monday, July 18, 2011

A modest proposal for modesty

I bought my first pair of shorts about two weeks ago. First in a long time, not ever. I cannot remember the last pair of shorts that I bought with the purpose of wearing them in public. I grew up in a house where I didn't wear shorts that often. Pants were ok, but shorts, no. What was the answer then to the no-shorts rule? Culottes.

Long, past the knee, very full and skirt-like. I can remember wearing these all the time. To camp, to youth activities  and anything else where I would be running or playing a sport. And to school. I also remember sneaking shorts under them and taking the culottes off when I was out of my mom's sight. (don't tell!)

The introduction of capris pretty much was a life changer! They were long and modest, could be worn in the summer, and weren't so full and skirt-like. As I got older, I tended to wear capris or a skirt. And now, after 6 years of Bible college and 8 years of teaching in a Christian school, I tend to mostly wear skirts. I have lots and lots of them. The dressy ones, the ones good for teaching, the casual ones, etc. 

Growing up, I was very aware of modesty. My mom would constantly remind me that some girls grow up to be women, but some will grow up to be ladies. That statement was usually followed by, "Now brush your hair" or "Now cross your legs". But to me, modesty has always been a part of my life. Keeping myself covered was important. But, somewhere in the rest of the world, modesty has become a lost art. 

Now it is impossible to go out in public without seeing people, men and women, dressed immodestly. Whether it is men with their underoos hanging out because their pants are sagging to their knees, or women who are baring too much skin or leaving nothing to the imagination by wearing things that are too tight, immodesty has become the norm in American society. How sad. And even sadder still, when this obsession of being trendy to the point of allowing oneself to be immodest has slipped into our churches. I'm not one to get up on my soap box very often, but this one really baffles me. I don't want to have to worry about what my husband is seeing on people in church. There, I'm stepping off my soap box now. 

When I grow up, I would love to open a store. I would name it The Modesty Shoppe. It will contain so many wonderful and beautiful, and even, dare I say, trendy items, but they will all be modest. The skirts will be longer, the necklines will be higher, and there will be enough material in the clothing so that something is left to the imagination. You will be able to come to my shop and purchase a shirt that you don't have to wear a tank top under. And it will be super cute. The skirts will be long enough to not have to worry about them being too short when you sit. And I will sell slips. You know, those things you wear under a skirt or dress to keep them from being see-through. There will be pants that are not skin tight. And shorts, modest and comfy. Sounds like a great store, doesn't it? It's every modest girl's dream store!

Now, about those shorts I bought. I wore them 2 or 3 times and Saturday night, I ripped them when I was getting in the car. Totally ripped them. Guess I will have to pull out some capris to wear today. Or maybe I will go buy some new shorts. 

word.

1 comment:

  1. Word indeed. Still my favorite post. Too many people don't dress right anymore, and too many people just let it happen.

    ReplyDelete