Friday, June 24, 2011

A crazy person's guide to making dinner, starring me:)

Last night, while browsing Pinterest (Thanks Anna, you have me HOOKED!), I received the usual text from my husband saying that he would be home in 30 minutes. Since he has a long commute, this text is essential for dinner preparation. We were having an easy supper last night, salad with lots of yummy veggies and grilled chicken.

As soon as I got the text from him, I jumped into action. If I don't, he will know that I have been a slacker all day. So these are my steps to making a fine dinner last evening.

  1. Empty dishwasher
  2. Fill dishwasher with dishes that I have been avoiding. 
  3. Dump goo from sinks into trashcan. 
  4. While at trashcan, notice that I forgot to make the bed. 
  5. Make bed. 
  6. While making bed, see shoes on floor. 
  7. Put shoes in closet. 
  8. Finish making bed. 
  9. See hair bands on dresser. 
  10. Return hair bands to bathroom. 
  11. Return to kitchen. 
  12. Empty old breakfast coffee. 
  13. Get new coffee ready for tomorrow. 
  14. Check time. 15 minutes till hubby arrives. 
  15. Assemble all veggies. 
  16. Find old cantaloupe. 
  17. Hurl old cantaloupe into trash. 
  18. Look for chicken. 
  19. Begin cutting veggies. 
  20. Open trashcan. 
  21. Throw trash from veggie area to trashcan from across the room. 
  22. Pause for a little dance when I got 5 in a row in the can. 
  23. Pick up pieces that I missed from floor. 
  24. Wipe tomato goo off floor. 
  25. Wash hands. 
  26. Remember that the chicken must be cooked. 
  27. Begin grilling chicken. 
  28. Frantically begin assembling salads. Husband 3 minutes away. 
  29. Pull chicken off grill and then put back on. Still pink. 
  30. Finish salads. 
  31. Find salad dressing. 
  32. Check chicken. 
  33. Remove chicken from grill as husband enters house. 
  34. Survey kitchen for signs of insanity. 
  35. Greet husband calmly. It is important to remember to act naturally here. 
  36.  Act as though I have been working effortlessly. 
  37. Enjoy a quiet dinner with husband. 
  38. Explain to husband why making salad is so tiring. 
There you have it. These are the actual steps I used last evening. Feel free to give them a try:) 

1 comment: