Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tips for the single lady (or single guy) and a great bbq rib recipe

So as my hubby and I sat down for an extremely messy dinner last night, we began a very funny conversation. Sadly, this is not the first time we have talked about this subject. We were eating ribs and corn on the cob and a lovely salad for dinner, and while I was up to my elbows in barbecue sauce, we talked about things not to eat on a first date. Let's face it, some foods you need to be alone or with someone you love to fully enjoy. A new guy or girl may not appreciate seeing you slurp messy foods down your gullet.  Dining with a new person is not the place to eat certain foods. So here is a list of what NOT to eat on a first date. Trust me, you will thank me later.

  1. Corn on the cob
  2. Spaghetti (or any other type of long pasta)
  3. Ribs of any kind
  4. Fried chicken
  5.  Tacos
I am sure this list can go on and on. Some foods, like the rib recipe below, are something that you must wait to share with that special someone. If you eat it too soon in a relationship, they will run from your sauce covered hands and face. You must wait until just the right moment. In my case, it was well after I married my husband. 

Ribs are a great summer food, but I don't grill outdoors. Even if we had a grill, I wouldn't. It's way too hot and I am afraid of lizards and snakes. This recipe is an indoor rib recipe, but it can be finished on the grill if you are more adventurous than me. 

What you need:

1 Slab ribs
1 can of Coke
Holy Trinity (Seasoning salt, pepper, and garlic)
Chili powder
Crushed red pepper
BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's original sauce)

What you do:

First cut the ribs into manageable pieces, about 3 ribs to a piece. Then sprinkle them with the spices. Once they are seasoned, rub the spices into the meat. Add your can of Coke to the crock pot and then place your ribs into the pot as well. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Once the ribs have cooked for a good long time, carefully remove them from the crock pot and put them on a plate. This is where you can decide to finish them on the grill if you would like, or if you are a chicken like me, you will finish them indoors. If you are going outside, be sure your grill is hot. Add some BBQ sauce to the ribs and finish them on the grill. Be careful though, they are super tender and will fall apart, so don't turn them over too much. If you are finishing them inside, dump out the juices in the bottom of the crock pot, add sauce to ribs, and put them back in the crock pot. Leave it on low for about 30 minutes to an hour and then taste and be amazed. 

These ribs will practically melt in your mouth. Ours were falling off the bone and were extremely messy and wonderful! Serve with corn on the cob if you are feeling like being extra messy. You'll be glad you are with someone you love. 


1 comment:

  1. We would pick up a bone and the meat literally slid off! And it was so amazingly good. If there had been more, I would've had fourths.

    Mmmm....

    MMMMMM.....

    And yes, definitely not for dating, unless you're both equally covered in bbq sauce. Talk about a mess.








    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete